Thursday, March 6, 2014

Math Junkies

Student A: "These were easy!"

Student B: "Yeah, but it's just integration!"

Student C:  "Mrs. Torres, you've turned us into math junkies!"

If the students are trying to hurt my feelings, it's definitely NOT working with those quotes!  It is so exhilarating when you have students enthused to be in the classroom, excited to be working on math that is really hard.  There are some days that I throw my own pencil down saying "I hate Calculus!" when really it's a love-hate relationship with this math level that is definitely more challenging than any level I have taught before. Its been almost 30 years since I did any Calc!  So my experiences are much like my students right now (only I'm a week ahead of them).  LOTS of practice is required, and I understand completely how they are feeling....so MANY formulas to memorize (and they keep falling out of my head too).  So we look for similarities and differences together to help each other find devices for remembering them.  Songs frequently work...dances help too!!  Acting out might be even better.  But whatever it is that we come up with, it's so much better if they create it.  After all, it's for them, not me!!  Those sparks don't come "on demand".  You can't pull up the on demand channel and expect to find them there.  Creativity takes time, but in the end, it's worth it because they remember!  Now, let's add the apply.  "Experience required, apply within."

No comments:

Post a Comment